Username: Password: Remember me
The "Reliability Run" Dual-Sport Ride
  • Page:

TOPIC: preparations for 2016 rides

preparations for 2016 rides 8 years 1 month ago #1335

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Friends, you may not know this, but work on the Reliability Run courses never ends. Every chance we get, Clark Francy and I - along with whomever else we can talk into helping out, are out and about, either preriding the course(s)and calculating mileage, or more frequently, working on trail sections.

In addition, poring over maps, reviewing Platt books (property maps), and discussion with landowners is a continual effort.

Please remember, as often as not it's just two old dudes out there in the woods, bustin' arse to provide you with the best dual-sport experience possible. If anyone at any time is interested in helping out, please contact Clark or myself. Help is particularly needed just prior to and just after each ride, as literally thousands of arrows must be put up and then immediately taken back down. Contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , or Clark, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Here's some pics from a few times we've been out over the winter.

Clark3a.JPG

Paul Busick, Ted Guthrie, Clark Francy on the bike - mid-December, 2015. Because vintage bikes make up about 40% of Reliability Run entries, we typically lay out the course on old machines - to assure it's ridable.

Ralph.JPG

Local property-owner interaction is essential. Let's face it - these folks cannot be expected to be thrilled about us tearing around their quiet, rural lives. We must work on continually establishing and maintaining relationships.

trail.JPG

Yet another awesome old Township Road.

2016-01-31b.jpg

Wish it was all about riding. But no, lots of the work involves plain old just tromping through the woods, trying to find new routes. Yes, that is ice.

trailside.jpg

We put over a thousand miles a year on our DS bikes in order to make the Reliability Runs happen. And yes, even the modern bikes sometimes break down.

mapreading.jpg

Maps - we do a lot of map-studying.

trailwork.jpg

January, 2016. If you're ever out on one of our trails and think it's a little tough - you should have seen it before we went in there and cut out logs, and cut back branches, and dug out brambles and stuff! It's practically a freeway compared to before we got in there!
Never met a motorcycle I didn't like.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by OhioTed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiger

preparations for 2016 rides 8 years 1 month ago #1346

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
February. Wish these pics could better convey just how awesome new trails are, that we're laying in. Lots and lots and lots of work, clearing and cutting. But, it will all be worth it when all you folks come out and enjoy the ride.

Check the first-gen Ford Falcon station wagon remains, which Clark found a-waaaaayyyy out in the woods.

0220161008_resized.jpg

0220161312a_resized.jpg

0220161313_resized.jpg

preparations for 2016 rides 8 years 1 week ago #1351

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
Pics from another work day. This one in late February. Mark Quinn and I cleared trail, and logged mileage for most of the "green" route.

downhillonquad.JPG

Mark1.JPG

riveroverlook.JPG

Teddownhill.JPG

treecross-Mark.JPG

snow.JPG

Markuphill.JPG

Beaver.JPG
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OhioTed.

preparations for 2016 rides 7 years 11 months ago #1355

• blimpman
  • Fresh Boarder
I would definately be helping you layout the course if I still lived up north. I help layout harescramble and dualsport courses here in Florida. I really enjoy it. I have a new bike and I might ride your Aug event.
Brian Krause
2015 Yamaha XT250

preparations for 2016 rides 7 years 11 months ago #1358

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you very much for your interest. Please note, because Clark and I simply becoming old and tired, the June Reliability Run will again be about 100 miles, with lots of great trail, the August ride will be much more modest - about 35 miles, and just back roads.

Bottom line is, we no longer can muster enough energy to create two of the full-on rides each year.

Regardless, very much hope to see you in August, or better yet - at the June ride!

preparations for 2016 rides 7 years 11 months ago #1384

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
What a difference a week makes. Yesterday, Clark and I drove around in 70-degree+ temperatures, talking with landowners to assure route access for the June ride. Mostly successful, although there's one fellow in particular we need to speak with who was not home. More good news, in that we found yet another really awesome old Township Road, which we'll be adding in to this June's ride. No pics from yesterday, but here's some from work last weekend, when there was snow on the ground, with AM temps in the 20's!

Last week was a trail-building day, and we were quite successful. Multiple brand-new trails added. The June run is going to be excellent!

4-10-162.JPG

Damon & Bob utilized side-by-side to help haul bodies and equipment out to where we were working on building trail. Trails themselves - all single-track.

4-10-163.JPG

Clark used club quad likewise.

4-10-164.JPG

Mark Quinn was our "test rider" for the day, laying first-tracks on brandly-new trails. This is a big ol', but perfectly manageable uphill.

4-10-165.JPG

Difficult to tell in the photo, but Bob is heading down a big, long downhill. We'll be coming UP it. No worries. It's a freeway. Just hit it with a bit of momentum and you'll go right up.

4-10-168.JPG

Can't even see it, but Mark is actually on an old single-track that we just opened back up for the first time in years.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OhioTed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds