Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Origin Stories - How you got involved in Trials

Origin Stories - How you got involved in Trials 7 years 2 months ago #1429

Although I grew up riding with my dad on his '88 Harley Electraglide, I was never too involved in the motorcycle world. I lived on a dirt road which weaved itself into a cobweb of other dirt roads, and fields, and farms that now, looking back, would've been perfect to go screaming by on a dirt bike. No, back then, I spent my days enjoying the outdoors by walking, riding my bicycle, or reading (I was a heavy reader back then). I remember the boys being involved in motocross and the X Games back when Chad Reed and Travis Pastrana were becoming big names, but that world never held as much interest for me. Having no friends who were interested in that sport didn't help. My friends were the kind that got together to study or play Halo, or go bowling. (yep, I was the geeky little nerd who liked to study for fun :P )

Then one day in 2012, I was introduced to a man who turned my whole life upside down and lit the fire for my interest in everything motorcycle, the same fire that burns brighter every day.

My first introduction was the world of observed trials. I felt like a little kid sitting on the couch with him for hours watching videos of people doing the most amazing things on motorcycles, things you would never imagine possible, like going up the 7ft shear face of a cliff like it was flat ground. Through those videos, he explained the basics and scoring principles, and different bike models (i.e. how to determine whether a bike is a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke). I asked all sorts of questions, and before too long, I knew all about the sport without ever actually getting to see a competition in person. My boyfriend had been involved in the trials portion of the BSA Rallies that are held twice a year at Cable's Creek Campground since he was a teenager, but had gained renewed interest in the sport and was watching videos and studying up, and trying to find a second club to ride in.

The first competition I went to see was for the club Trials Incorporated in the fall of 2014 at Cable's Creek Campground. I actually don't have a single picture of that day because I was in such awe of everything I was seeing. Everyone I met was so nice and welcoming that my feeling of whether or not I belonged there was short-lived. I watched the kids competition, amused by the tiny bodies with the giant helmets, then watched the adults. The sport is definitely made even more remarkable when you can see it up close and personal.

The first BSA Rally I attended with my boyfriend the next spring was even more so. Not only did I get to meet some amazing people with incredible stories of motorcycles and competitions and road trips, but I got to walk through the swap meet and admire the vintage motorcycles of every make and model imaginable. Campfires at night partnered with breakfast sandwiches and coffee and amusing morning conversation quickly made me feel like I was "one of the guys."

But other than getting to watch the competitions, I loved watching the Saturday night entertainment where all the musicians in attendance got up on stage. Singers, guitars, banjos, violins... you name it. People came together to sing and play and put on a show.

IMG_06072.JPG

Never before have I been involved in such a great community. I am proud to say that I've attended the last 4 BSA Rallies, and I know there are many more to come. One of these days, I'll even be competing in the trials competition on my early 2000's-model Sherco 125.

DSC_0105_edit.jpg

DSC_0116_edit.jpg

DSC_0186_edit.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webmaster, OhioTed

Origin Stories - How you got involved in Trials 7 years 2 months ago #1430

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Great post, Stephanie. Thank you. Great pictures, too. I do own a trials bike, but all the other activities at the OVBSAOC rallies make it tough for me to participate in the trials events. Must make more of an effort. Here's my old TY.

yamahaty.jpg
Never met a motorcycle I didn't like.

Origin Stories - How you got involved in Trials 7 years 2 months ago #1432

• Tony
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Great story, Stephanie, and great photos too. Please keep contributing them. Glad you enjoy our meets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webmaster

Origin Stories - How you got involved in Trials 7 years 2 months ago #1436

• smith
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
although I do not compete on a regular basis (very irregular in fact)I do like from time to time get out there and play,how I got into it?,showing up to my first spring meet over 20 years ago and all I could say was "I got to get me one of these!",I have owned to date,a bultaco,2 montesas,a Honda,a converted cub, hybrid Hodakas 100/125/250 (all the same frame)and my current OSSA MAR,my love of the reliability ride keeps me away right now but you never can tell with me
023.jpeg
if this was easy,everyone would do it

Origin Stories - How you got involved in Trials 7 years 1 month ago #1442

• clarkthespark
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
That was a great story Stephanie. Am looking forward to seeing you this Spring for both OVBSAOC and Trials Inc. events.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 3.018 seconds