Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: '64 Cyclone

'64 Cyclone 8 years 1 month ago #1329

• Rich B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
There are 2 headlight buckets on fleaBay this morning with the dimmer switch you need installed
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'64 Cyclone 8 years 1 month ago #1330

• gstridr
  • Fresh Boarder
Rich,

Thanks again. I found one of the buckets you mentioned and made an offer. Unfortunately, it wasn't accepted. Guess I'll just keep on plugging along.

Again, thank you for all your input.

Doug

'64 Cyclone 8 years 1 month ago #1331

• gstridr
  • Fresh Boarder
Very interesting development in my Cyclone search. I had contacted the Vintage Motor Cycle Club and asked for a search on the my Cyclone engine numbered A50.B.291. By all accounts published that I have looked at (Bacon, Henshaw, etc.) that number shows up within the range of '64 A50C's exported to the U.S., the engine numbering beginning at A50.B.101.

Here's the records search reply from the VMMC:

Recorded as an A65.
Despatched from the factory on the 26th January 1962
Despatched to Jenkin & Purser Ltd, Bournemouth.

I will be back in touch with the VMMC about this as my engine is definitely a 500 with dual Monobloc carbs., which I do not believe were available on any '62 A50's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

'64 Cyclone 8 years 1 month ago #1332

• Rich B
  • Junior Boarder
Did you give VMCC frame or engine #? Bsa did some strange things with S/N's at times, but the early unit twins are fairly straightforward on S/N's.

Engine and frame didn't match, all frames in that era started with A50 followed by a letter if it had any changes, then the number. I know of frame prefixes A50 (original release), A50A, and A50B.

Your bike should be an A50B frame - open loop at back for the rear fender, probable short swing arm being a 64 Cyclone. Though it could have the more common long swing arm, not clear when that change occurred for the Cyclone, some Hornets shared the short swin arm.

The A50B frame started with the 64 model year.

The engine would be also A50B for 64, seems the D engines came n 65.

So guess I am confused how VMCC says it is a 62 A65..........

'64 Cyclone 8 years 1 month ago #1343

• gstridr
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry for the tardy re-post. Out of town for the last week. I am equally confused by the VM
CC's information. It just can't be correct, especially since I don't think any twin carb 500s were made in 1962. I plan on replying to them and asking for a clarification.

My frame number is A50B.2876. This would be proper for a 1964 frame, however, I strongly doubt it was originally paired with the engine (A50.B.291) since there is such a large difference in the number sequences. Not that important to me as this is not a concourse restore. I do, however, want it to be a correct restore.

'64 Cyclone 8 years 1 month ago #1344

• Rich B
  • Junior Boarder
Rather than using VMCC, I would contact the dating officer with the BSAOC to see what the factory records show. There is a charge.

The LR was likely the dominant model using the A50B frame. So a big variation is possible
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds