Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Canada, back on 1937 Harley

Canada, back on 1937 Harley 11 years 4 months ago #107

• warkshop
  • Fresh Boarder
Firstly forgive me, this story is not about my 1940 BSA M20 but about my old Harley. Had a busy riding month on Oct. Rode about 450 miles at the AMCA Road Run in Maggie Valley, NC.The bike is still being shaken down and many things needed fixing during this trip. Dale Walksler of the Wheels thru Time museum sent someone with a part to rescue me at one point. Everybody at the meet was friendly and helpful, especially Dale and company. Then took off on a solo trip to visit relatives in Ontario 893 miles. All on my new to me 1937 Harley ULH bobber bitsa. Not a true 80 it has over bored 74 jugs equaling about a 78inch big flat head. Had both headlight and tail light issues. Early Cushman tail light lens abandoned ship early on and at Bob & Cork Kent's i painted the bulb with Corky's red nail polish. The ever helpful Mr Kent affixed some snaps to my Aerostitch suit to close the neck better, i suffer from pencil neck, don't call me a geek! Headlight first came loose and flopped down, dealt with that then it came loose at the base and rotated! Fixed that. Fall leaf color was awesome the whole trip, coming and going. Had throttle issues on the way home and ended up having to ride with maybe 60% throttle before hitting the stop,,,not good on a bike with 35 HP on a good day. Oh, and i was bucking headwinds most of the way home, added to the fun! Don't think you can't take trips with old bikes, it ain't easy but it is darn sure interesting!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canada, back on 1937 Harley 11 years 4 months ago #111

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Thanks for sharing, Bob! That sounds like a great ride. I'd like to find out more about the AMCA event in MV. Great excuse to visit Dale's place.

Note to readers: Bob is always showing up on something interesting. Let's see if we can get him to comment on this sidecar rig to brought to an OVBSAOC rally a year or two ago.

IMG_0001.JPG
Never met a motorcycle I didn't like.

Canada, back on 1937 Harley 11 years 4 months ago #115

• warkshop
  • Fresh Boarder
That is a 1974 Harley XLH which i made like a touring bike back then. The large 'turtle' gas tank would have come on an earlier XL ( 4 gallons). Pipes are repops as would have come on a 1957 XL, two into one muffler. Sidecar is a Champion Legend. Great outfit, had much fun with. Now sold. PS, i also used this bike as a solo and then i had an old HD accessory windscreen like was used in the 60s. I also ran a set of reproduction 'Royalite' saddlebags made by the B&B Reproductions company in PA. Awesome quality, exact replicas made better with modern technology and wonderful folks to deal with.Let them go with the bike,,,,should have kept them!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds