Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1954 BB34A

1954 BB34A 8 years 2 months ago #1304

• Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
New member last December, this will be my first attempt a post.
About myself:
My first Bsa motorcycle was a DBD34 bought around 1976 from an ad in the Flint, Michigan newspaper. It seemed to have been someones competition bike; solo saddle,no lights, no battery, megaphone, no compression relief and competition magneto. Within a few months I also bought another DBD34 as a basket case it had a rigid frame and a lot of parts, some of them in a bushel basket.
The first bike was reassembled in a back bedroom and with two bills of sale I got a builders title. This bike was eventually traded for a like new 1972 Norton Commando.
My only other BSA until this BB34A was a 1968 B44 Shooting Star. It was an excellent bike, but just didn't quite measure up to my memories of the Goldstar.

Anyway, here are some picture of my new acquisition, the modifications are only started.
20150704_111759600x450.jpg

20150704_111741600x450.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1954 BB34A 8 years 2 months ago #1306

• Rich B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice find. Congrats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug

1954 BB34A 8 years 1 month ago #1313

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 15
Very nice indeed. Thank you for sharing.
Yes, the Avatar image is an actual picture of me - back when I was younger and handsomer.

1954 BB34A 8 years 1 month ago #1317

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I really like the bike you have included in the pics. I'm relative newcomer to vintage Brit bikes. Lots more experience with Jap vintage. Tell me, what are the wheel sizes on this unit? Possibly 18 rear & 19 front? Very complimentary layout. Stock?

I like small-displacement bikes, and particularly favor that same, slightly-larger-front wheel arrangement,
BSAC15.jpg
Never met a motorcycle I didn't like.

1954 BB34A 8 years 1 month ago #1324

• Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
Ted,
The tire size on this 1954 BSA are:

front = 3.00 x 21"
rear = 3.50 x 19"

The bike came to me with a 4.00 x 19" rear. A 2.75 x 21" front tire were sometimes used.

Doug

1954 BB34A 8 years 1 month ago #1325

• unkilmal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Doug, I really appreciate your post and the pictures of your DBD34. All I have left of my 1969 DBD34 Catalina Scrambler is a kick stand that I removed when I retired it from the highway and put in the dirt where it belonged in the first place. It was the mag-dyno that precipitated this move. The rectangular point guard shorted the points and advanced the spark enough to crack the piston during a return trip from observing a pro flat track race in Va. I installed a lightened flywheel when I rebuilt it which transformed the bike in some magical way, so much so that I rode that thing
in local hare scrambles, enduros, motocross and finally single trails until 1985. The ultimate thrill was beating all those 500 class Huskies, Bultacos, Maicos, etc., out of the gate and up the hill to the first turn at my home club MX track, The Grove City MC Club. Of course the Goldie's weight disadvantage showed up after 10 minutes in the moto, even so I got a few third places in spite of it. The spectators cheered on the aged and overweight BSA which was the obvious underdog,...at least this is how I imagine it and don't nobody try to tell me otherwise.

Thanks again for this great example of one of the best BSAs. Unfortunately I don't have one decent picture of my DBD.

Mel Schallot
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds