• Page:

TOPIC: Brake Light works Opposite of what it Should

Brake Light works Opposite of what it Should 8 years 5 months ago #1247

• WingMan71
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all,

New OVBSAOC club member here, and newbie to British bikes as well.

I'm the 2015 raffle bike winner! Just a beautiful restoration job by Jim Wetzel. I'm still smilin' about that! :woohoo:

I've been riding the bike and getting used to shifting with my right foot and braking with my left. After 50 years of riding Japanese bikes, that's proven hard to get used to!

I've got a brake light issue on the '69 BSA A65L that I could use help with.

Symptoms are this:

With the ignition on and NO brake applied, the brake light is ON all the time. Very bright second (brake) filament is clearly shining. Then, when you step on the brake pedal, the bright brake light dims, i.e., the brake light filament turns off. That's just the opposite of what's supposed to happen.

I've pulled the left side cover off and looked at the brake light switch and the small secondary actuating lever off of the main bake lever that actuates the brake switch. There looks to be some adjustment on that secondary lever to allow you to set how far the brake pedal has to be depressed before the brake light comes on.

But, this symptom is different. The brake light is ON all the time, and dims when you press the brake pedal. That seems to be not an switch activation issue, but rather it seems to indicate that perhaps the switch itself is wired wrong or something.

I've been wrenching on bikes and cars for 50 years now, so I'm no amateur, but as a BSA newbie I could use help with this brake light issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob
Bob
1969 BSA 650 Lightning
U.S. Navy SWO - 1967 to 1976
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brake Light works Opposite of what it Should 8 years 4 months ago #1256

• WingMan71
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
OK, I'm back, and...

I figured it out my darn self! ;)

Turns out that the brake pedal has a lever that actuates the rear brake light switch, and it can easily be so far out of adjustment that the light either never comes on or is on all the time or turns on and then off the farther you press the foot brake!

With some careful adjustment of the actuator extension on the brake pedal lever I was able to get the brake light to only be on when the foot brake is pressed.

Gonna see if I can attach a picture to show the adjuster.

So, I'm good to go!
Bob
1969 BSA 650 Lightning
U.S. Navy SWO - 1967 to 1976
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds