Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The "Reliability Run" Dual-Sport Ride
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mud hole?What mud hole?!

Mud hole?What mud hole?! 9 years 7 months ago #914

• warkshop
  • Fresh Boarder
Had huge fun riding the event, thanks Ted! Two KTM riders helped me out and with their strength the bike came out quickly, i am soooo glad they came along! Best ride ever for me, awesome woods sections and loved the gravel roads as well.
dirtybob.jpg

dirtybob3.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mud hole?What mud hole?! 9 years 7 months ago #921

• OhioTed
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Bob and I have had a lot of fun over this little misfortune he suffered during this past Reliability Run, and I want to include some background on the situation.

First, my sincere apologies to Mr Wark for subjecting him to the experience, as I am principally responsible for laying out this year's course. ALL Reliability Run courses are set up specifically with Dual Sport riders in mind. That is, with some challenges, yet rideable by just about any competent rider on just about any capable bike. In fact, Clark and I typically arrow and pre-ride the course on big, heavy and/or vintage DS bikes - to assure rideability. Plus of course the runs always include bypass routes around all of the true trail sections.

However, sometimes natural terrain ends up playing a larger part than expected. And, such was the case where Bob has chosen to "park" his DR350 in the picture. With very little private property available to us for the aforementioned "true trail sections", we work to utilize as much of each piece of property as possible. And, that's what led Clark to head down over the hill in Ralph Carter's Woods and through a little creek, to tie a new section into our "Deer Trail" single-track.

When we first walked it, I commented to Clark that, "It feels a little soft through here." I don't remember exactly what Clark said in response, but believe it was something to the effect of, in true classic Enduro attitude, "They'll find a way through."

So there we were, out on the course for the event on Saturday. I was running a late number, looking to keep an eye on everyone, look for problems, and gather up stragglers. At about the 100-mile mark we came upon Bob - standing at an intersection and studying his route sheet, because the arrows were down (AAARGH!!!). I waved for Bob to follow and off we went up the road and into the next trail section, with more arrows down!!!

All good through there, then back out on the road. I kept watching for Bob behind my buddy, who was behind me. And, there was his DR's headlight, consistently in my mirror. All good. Then we hit Ralph Carter's Woods. My old DT360 Yamaha had been running more and more poorly as the day wore on, and I was half expecting it to quit at any minute. But, while she was still up on the tire I was giving it heck! We headed down the trail and, with the Enduro Rider's mantra of "momentum is your friend" driving me, I gave that little mudhole a half-second's worth of consideration, picked my line, and zipped right through. Then it was every bit of focus I could manage to drive the old DT, on its cheapo-trials-universal tires, down through the Deer Trail.

Got through (whew!), then looked back for my buddy Jeff. No Jeff. Turned off the DT's engine and listened. Couple minutes passed and I finally heard Jeff's MR250 Honda. I was looking behind me for him to come up the Deer Trail when suddenly he appears coming directly at me, from the trail I was facing! "How the heck did you get up there?" I shouted. Jeff said he was just following "the trail" (not the arrows or fresh tracks, mind you), so in exasperation I fired up and off we went - forgetting all about poor Bob.

In hindsight I am very glad for three things. First, that Bob got out of there. Second, that I wasn't the one who had to pull him out. And third, that we got these awesome pictures!

Woohoo! The Reliability Run is a GREAT ride. If you've ridden it previously and/or rode it this last time, chime in with your experience. If you haven't ridden it, you missing a terrific DS adventure.
Never met a motorcycle I didn't like.

Mud hole?What mud hole?! 9 years 5 months ago #930

• smith
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
did not see that mudhole as I must have went the safer route,the only one I saw was in the first off road section where I almost centerpunched Clark who was taking photos with my triumph 250 which I had the throttle pinned to get through :woohoo: ,sorry Clark,I really was NOT trying to hit you :dry:
if this was easy,everyone would do it

Mud hole?What mud hole?! 9 years 5 months ago #933

• smith
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Oh I forgot to ask,did you get the shot Clark?
if this was easy,everyone would do it

Mud hole?What mud hole?! 9 years 4 months ago #935

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 15
Yeah, Clark - did you get the shot? Apparently, Clark is sitting on those pictures. Haven't seen 'em yet.
Yes, the Avatar image is an actual picture of me - back when I was younger and handsomer.

Mud hole?What mud hole?! 9 years 3 months ago #967

• clarkthespark
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Hey, the only pictures I took of the Reliability Run was just around the campground and a couple out on the early section of the trail. If I see the picture you are talking about, I'll send it along to the "Webmaster" so he can post it here.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds